Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Its obviously ironic to see Pride and Prejudice mixed with zombies and it’s that sort of obvious ironic humor that usually fuels the internet subcultures and tries to hook audiences like the movie snakes on a plane did. so I wasn’t too surprised when I heard about this zombification of pride and prejudice on digg.com. It’s also ironic in another way. The original book tells a story of love in a setting which reflects early English society and culture, and the injection of zombies sort of inadvertently forces the reader to consider the contrasts of our current society and its cultural interests to that of old England’s, like fighting zombies to concerns about being a suitable wife to a rich suitor, at least it did for me. It’s interesting to see that the book sort of offers an escape from itself from time to time with zombie fights, bringing waves of nostalgia from childhood fascinations with zombies, but I don’t think those waves helped me appreciate Pride and Prejudice as much as they just set me off course. Before this class I never read the original Pride and Prejudice and I only knew about the plot line from friends who saw the recent movie Of Pride and Prejudice, but I’m glad now to have read the book because it’s still a literary classic, even with a few zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment