Thursday, April 29, 2010

Douglas Adams— The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I read this book without any idea what I was getting myself into, and I was really surprised how great this was. The whole thing seemed very british to me. Growing up I remember watching The monty python movies with my family and this book’s humor definitely brought me back to that. The randomness and existentialist over the top humor is great. I loved zaphod beeblebrox his character was hilarious. It was great how stupid he was and gave himself a lobotomy and yet he was the president of the universe. The improbability drive was another favorite aspect of this book. The sort of dark irony of everything and it’s futileness is great and the character that reflects this the best is the super intelligent robot servant who is extremely depressed. It seems that everything in this book is off the wall but has a very reasonable and unfortunate explanation. Another example is the part of the book where it goes off on a tangent to explain how a group of people built a super computer to calculated the meaning of life only to hear that the answer is 42. Something like that is completely random but it’s that sort of answer that could be completely valid to a question so vague and contrived. This book was an amazing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment