Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Neal Stephenson—Snow Crash

Snow Crash interested me because I heard plenty about it from my friends. “it’s insane, but also really believable” is how it was described. The book takes place in a hypothetical future like the cyberpunk genre kind of implies but this book seemed to have a specific alternate theory for what the economy and government of the future would be like.. Hiro is a hacker and master sword fighter, but compared to the rest of this novel that combination of skill sets doesn’t seem so unfitting. Snow Crash is a pseudo-narcotic in the book that Hiro encounters, and its interesting to think of how drugs of the future will change and affect culture and society. To think how much an impact the introduction of drugs in the 60’s had on culture. I really enjoyed how the book examines the details of snow crash and how it affects the human mind as well as the “meta-verse”
It’s a very interesting concept. Unfortunately I didn’t get to finish Snow Crash but I will definitely come back to it because it has so many interesting a specific theories about the future that seem “insane but also really believable” just the way my friends described.

No comments:

Post a Comment